Pages

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The rundown.

I think I need to really start this blog up again.  I feel so overwhelmed sometimes that I think getting things "on paper" might help a bit.  Here's a brief rundown of where things have been and where we are now.

We went through the 3 month growth spurt which morphed into the 4 month wakeful + Wonder Week 19 from mid-February to mid-March.  Oh my, rough times.  Never have I thought I actually might die of exhaustion.  He did not want to sleep at night, he did not want to nap, he did not want to eat.  We took him to the pediatrician who suspects he might have a mild case of reflux and suggested we try Zantac.  The eating got better on it's own so didn't give it to him.  More on that to come.

I'd read horror stories of the dreaded 4 month wakeful lasting for 2 months for some people, but luckily for us it was over as quickly as it started about 3 weeks later.  Right around the 4 month mark Finn suddenly became a happy baby.  Colic was over and there was much rejoicing!  I finally felt like I had a handle on things.  Thanks to Dr. Ferber I broke the swinging for naps habitat and Finn started taking 3 regular naps a day in his crib.  And they were for more than 30 minutes at a time!  It took about a week of very gentle Ferberizing and we managed to beat the 30 minute intruder.  Seriously, I still feel like I deserve a trophy for this.

Fast forward to 5-5.5 months and the crankiness sets back in.  He doesn't want to eat at all and something seems off.  Just when I'm about to call the pediatrician again, I notice a tooth!  Of course Finn cannot be one of those babies who wakes up with teeth none worse for the wear.  Teething is hell for him.  I'll nominate myself for the Bad Mother Award, but I went ahead and gave him ibuprofen since it works better for teething.  It's not supposed to be given until 6 months, but I figured 2 weeks won't make much of a difference.  He didn't have any negative reactions to it and only needed it once during the day for two days.  Thank you Jesus that teething didn't affect night sleep for us.

So we've made it through one tooth, I think the other is days away from cutting the gum, and we are quickly approaching Wonder Week 26.  Again, he started to get upset while eating so we're sticking with the Zantac for awhile.  Eating has gotten much better, so it's either the result of the tooth being through or he actually does have reflux (I'm not convinced of this because his only symptom is not wanting to eat which frankly I think bores him).

He just woke up from a nap, so I'll expand on Wonder Week 26 a bit later.  Lord help me through this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment